Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare


Prabhupada's Palace of Gold near Moundsville, West Virginia 
For much of my adult life, I was fascinated by communal living, and this led me to visit many interesting places. The second of these was a Hare Krishna farm (New Talavan, which still exists) in south Mississippi that I visited in 1980. I assumed that it was situated where it was so recruits could be brought out from nearby New Orleans. The men lived in a dormitory, and the women and children lived in their own little houses, sex being limited to the actual attempt to bear a child, which, as I recall, wasn't a decision that was made by the couple, although I don't remember who did make it. Everyone spent a lot of time chanting out loud while dancing barefoot in a concrete floored building, which, although I was still young and strong enough that health problems seemed like something that happened to other people, struck me as a really bad idea. The residents ate in yet another building which, because people were constantly coming in and going out, was full of flies. Hare Krishnas won't kill anything, so there was no way to keep the flies off their food, which bothered me considerably more than the barefoot dancing because I was eating the same food. 

The people repeated their sixteen word chant (mostly under their breath) over a thousand times a day (I forget the exact number), which meant that they spent nearly all day everyday chanting, no matter what else they were doing or who they were talking to. One other thing that stands out in my memory is that some of the men slept on the wooden floor beside their beds as a form of devotion, perhaps of penance. My only complaint was that everyone seemed somehow distant. Maybe it was because I was an outsider; maybe it was because of the number of visitors who went through the place; or maybe it was just due to the necessity of having to chant while talking.

A few years later, while Peggy and I were on one of our six week camping trips, we visited the big Hare Krishna temple near Moundsville, West Virginia. Construction was still in progress, and despite the fact that the work was being done by people with no building experience, the temple was beautiful. CBS reported, "The magnificence of the Palace of Gold would be hard to exaggerate." Life Magazine called it "a place where tourists can come and be amazed." The New York Times exclaimed "Welcome to Heaven," and The Courier-Journal of Louisville enthused, "It's hard to believe that Prabhupada's Palace is in West Virginia. In fact, it's hard to believe it's on this planet." The builders attributed the success of their work to "Krishna Consciousness."

We unknowingly arrived at the height of a festival, so there were, perhaps, a thousand people camped around the palace, which resulted in a fair amount of mud. Their guru, Swami Prabhupada, had died in 1977, but they tried to retain him as a living presence by venerating a life-size wax effigy. This effigy had its own "living quarters" and was treated as if it were alive. The devotees would gather before it and listen to Prabhupada's speeches while a couple of people gently fanned flies away from its face.

On our first night, one of the Krishnas knocked on the door of our Datsun truck camper and asked to borrow a flashlight, which he never returned. The theft added to my suspicion that America's Krishnas regarded people outside their group as fair game for exploitation. No one can denounce every aspect of their own culture (except its language) by the way they look, act, and think without harboring a hatred of that culture and, by extension, its people. I was also bothered by their practice of sticking flowers in strangers' shirt pockets at airports and on street corners, and then asking for a donation. Finally, I noted that their four "regulative principals" (no gambling, no intoxicants, no meat eating, and no illicit sex) were all expressed as negatives and made no mention of honesty or compassion, at least in regard to humans.  

We camped for two nights, ate with the Krishnas, and went away glad that we didn't have to eat their strangely spiced vegan food all the time. We were happy we had visited but even happier to escape the crowds and mud, yet our happiness was nothing compared to that of our little schnauzer, Wendy, who was SO glad to leave that it was comical. Her emotions had ranged from ill at ease to scared silly the whole time, leaving us to wonder if it was the ambiance of the place or the mixture of body odors and cooking odors that bothered her.

I chose the following recording of "My Sweet Lord" despite the relatively poor sound quality and the fact that it cuts off the chanting at the end. I did so because the photos indicate that the song wasn't just a fleeting appropriation of a religion, but that "Krishna Consciousness" was an important part of George Harrison's life (in one interview he talked about how high he got from chanting Hare Krishna three days running). George died of lung cancer at age 58. He was a gentle and sensitive man.



17 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

My only exposure to Hare Krishnas was in the days when they were still allowed inside the Atlanta airport. Besides seeming very strange to me (Mansfield, Texas never had any) the thing that struck me every time I was near one of them was how vacant and empty their eyes were. Perhaps this was unfair of me; perhaps they were just concentrating on their inner chanting.

Emma Springfield said...

It is such a pretty song. It sounds peaceful if repetitive.

Strayer said...

I got sort of tricked into helping someone who lives locally and works for a Eugene Hare Krishna slumlord. He's Russian or something but buys and sells crappy houses, a flipper, keeps some to rent and is involved with Hare Krishna's in Eugene and on some farm at the coast. The local woman was making her mint cleaning his crappy slums and doing maintenance work on newly acquired slum houses, so he could flip for a profit. I got warned I'd be entering a Krishna house, with maybe lots of chanting, on the ride down to do hard labor (over five bags of cat food I thought the woman had donated but who later demanded work in exchange). That was my only encounter with a Hare Krishna and I was not impressed. I was impressed with his lack of any moral compass and eagerness to exploit labor laws, rental laws, just about every law to get rich.

Charles Gramlich said...

Can't remember a time when I wanted to live even close to others, much less in a communal environment.

Kranhu said...

Have you entertained the idea of putting your blog posts together to create a book? I have gone back to the beginning of your blog to read your posts. Your posts are intelligent, thought provoking, engaging, entertaining... Kris

Marion said...

I love George Harrison. He was such a gentle soul. Fascinating read, Snow. I missed out on the Krishna train, one of the few religions I haven't studied, probably for many of the negatives you mentioned & also a lack of interest. I had NO idea they had a place in Mississippi.

Check out this 'Yoga Retreat' in nowhere, TN. I'd like to visit it just because of the gorgeous location on a mountain top. Must be quite a lucrative religion...or whatever it is, to afford this spot:

http://isha.sadhguru.org/us-en/isha-usa/visiting/

The only commune experience I came close to having was 'The Farm', Stephen Gaskin's commune in Summertown, TN. I bought Ina May Gaskin's book, "Spiritual Midwifery" when I was pregnant in the 70's. I still have it. We thought about moving up there and joining, but never did. In hindsight, it was a great idea that could have been life-changing...

Thanks for another great read, Snow. You really should consider a memoir. I'd buy it. xo

Snowbrush said...

"the thing that struck me every time I was near one of them was how vacant and empty their eyes were."

Maybe they were embarrassed to be seen in a public place looking like buffoons and acting like panhandlers before the eyes of a contemptuous crowd of strangers. I think, Rhymes, my dear friend, that people who get involved in something like that are (a) dissatisfied with their lives and are (b) serious searchers of God. I feel compassion for the former and respect for the latter, but, you know, once a person whole-heartedly signs on as some living person's devotee, he's at risk of renouncing his own sense of ethical responsibility in favor of his guru's, and there's no reason to think he will stop at shaving his head (except, in the case of the Hare Krishnas', a ridiculous little pigtail), go on whatever diet the guru puts him on, sleep with whomever the guru says to sleep with (and when he says to sleep with them), give up his wife for his guru's pleasure, and quite possibly kill himself (as at Heaven's Gate) or himself and others (as at Jonestown).

"It is such a pretty song. It sounds peaceful if repetitive."

Peggy shares your objection. I just think he was trying to bring the meditative feel of chanting into it.

"Can't remember a time when I wanted to live even close to others, much less in a communal environment."

I spent years trying to do just that, but the desire is long gone.

"Have you entertained the idea of putting your blog posts together to create a book?"

I used to think I would do that someday, but when I think about it now, what stops me are: self-confidence; energy; resolve; a (self-perceived) waning ability, and the feeling that I don't have a coherent message. Back in the 1980s, I spent much of two years writing for magazines, and what I found was that I hated the low pay, having to give up some of the control over my work, and having to write what editors wanted me to write rather than what I wanted to write. I could, of course, put something together and self-publish, but without the promotional help of a publisher, who would buy it? This leads me to another problem. I've noticed that if a publisher believes in a writer's work, he/she sends that writer to appear at book fairs, be interviewed on radio programs, and so forth; and I think I would hate that and not do worth a darn at it. All that said, the fact that I perceive myself as having writing talent and not having used it for something more than writing this blog is the greatest sorrow of my life because I see myself as having failed to develop what I consider to be my one outstanding talent. I very much wish that it was Peggy who had the talent because I fully believe that I would have gone all out to do whatever it took to get her published. I do better as a warrior in someone else's service than a chief in my own. I'm glad you're here again. I miss you when you don't come around for awhile, not just because I enjoy you, but because I worry that something might have happened to you--I'm just that way.

Snowbrush said...

"I had NO idea they had a place in Mississippi."

I wouldn't have known had I not sought out such information. I probably learned of New Talavan from a book size index of alternative communities, and I probably learned of the index from Mother Earth News.

"I bought Ina May Gaskin's book, "Spiritual Midwifery" when I was pregnant in the 70's."

Peggy was an obstetrics's nurse, and someone bought the book for her--she enjoyed it. Maybe you know that The Farm advertised that a woman could go to there, have her baby for free, and then leave the baby until such time as she wanted it back. I stayed a few days at The Farm back in the late '70s or early '80s when they had between 1,200 and 1,400 residents (while there, I heard Gaskin make his weekly talk). I hadn't been there an hour before I realized I would never want to live there, the most obvious and immediate problem being that, unlike myself, the people who did well at The Farm were NOT into cleanliness and orderliness. In fact, I saw abandoned cars dotting the place, some of which had residents sleeping in them. I went there again several years later at a time when The Farm had run into such dire financial problems that they had to tell most of the people to get out and get a job to keep the place solvent. I don't know what the women did for work, but the men mostly did construction work. Because it was a rural area, some of them had to drive long distances. This was NOT what most people were looking for, so The Farm's population soon dropped to a few hundred people. I knew something was remiss as soon as I pulled up to the little check-in building and saw a Coke machine on the porch, Coca Cola representing the kind of Big Business, anti-environmental, and to-hell-with-nutrition values that many people had gone to The Farm to escape. Again and again in my travels, I visited places (The Farm being one of them, if I recall correctly) that required you to turn over everything you owned, and even if you stayed and worked hard for twenty years, if you left, you left a pauper. Another such place is closer to you than The Farm. It's called East Wind and is in far southern Missouri toward the middle of the east/west line. I had heard that East Wind had unisex outhouses, and indeed they did, so two people were as likely as not to be sitting directly side-by-side to a member of the opposite sex, with there being no guarantee that you would even know the person. I remember sitting in one of the outhouses reading a magazine when a woman came in and plopped down beside me. I have very little sense of physical modesty, plus I had no idea what kind of etiquette was expected, so I started talking to her about the article I was reading. I don't know how she felt about this, but it seemed less awkward than for the two of us to sit there in silence farting away.

Snowbrush said...

"it seemed less awkward than for the two of us to sit there in silence farting away."

Come to think of it, if we were farting away, we would hardly be sitting in silence, but I guess you knew what I meant.

I see that East Wind still exists (and no, the wind that I referred to is almost certainly NOT the kind of wind the place was named for): http://www.eastwindblog.co/

Kranhu said...

Thank you, Snow. I read but seldom post on a blog.
A gal I met through Blipfoto was writing her story but decided not to try a publisher and has a link to her bio-.Pericopes(On Google Drive, I think)
https://www.blipfoto.com/scribbler
My husband’s cousin found a publisher, and a literary agent. She is a Christian writer and thus her publisher and agent are also. Her books are on Amazon. I dont think she traveled to promote her books but was interviewed.
The fellow who wrote The Martian started writing chapters on his blog. The book was free, then it went to Amazon for $.99.
Your story telling is similar to Russell Baker.
Kris

Snowbrush said...

Marion, the Yoga retreat facility looks lovely.

"I got warned I'd be entering a Krishna house, with maybe lots of chanting"

I like their chanting. I just don't like their beliefs.

"Your story telling is similar to Russell Baker."

I so rarely read anything that's even fairly recent that I don't know of him, but I found the following description of him on Wikipedia: "like some fourth century citizen of Rome who is amused and intrigued by the Empire's collapse but who still cares enough to mock the stupidities that are hastening its end."

Myrna R. said...

I now realize how much I've missed your interesting posts. This one is no exception. What a life you've had. Am grateful that you share your vivid memories.
I haven't been around much because my husband was very sick. Most of our days were devoted to doctor's appointments. I just felt busier than I probably was, perhaps due to the stress of it all.
Anyway, he is better now. We'll see how life proceeds.
Promise to check in on you more often.
Hope you're well and keep writing.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Haven't seen any hare krishnas since I was in college when I was approached quite often with pleas to feed the starving children. When I refused, they would ask why not and I would tell them that I don't believe the funds would go to starving children at all. Now I see it went to build the palaces that you have pictured

Kranhu said...

I will go read Wikipedia. Kris

Winifred said...

That building is amazing & so strange to see it out of it's normal environment.

George was always my favourite Beatle and a lovely songwriter. I also loved it when he sang with the Travelling Wilbury's. They were such a mixed bunch & I have never liked Bob Dylan's singing yet they made great music together.

I've only ever seen the Hare Krishna's in London & it amazes me that in the middle of winter they are wandering around in thin robes & flip flops. Maybe they wear thermals!

possum said...

Ah, what memories that brought back - those days of youth and the searching, searching...
I was never a commune type... too solitary for that. And I never would have survived a communal outhouse, for sure. But it reminded me of a trip thru Turkey when I was a kid - the bus stopped out in the middle of nowhere for a potty break... The men went to one side of the bus, the women were on the other. I never appreciated Kleenex so much in all my life! (pass the lemon water, please?)

Joe Todd said...

recently visited The Ephrata Cloister Hopefully will be doing a post soon.