Beautifuls...the Name I Call My Cats

 

Brewsky and Sage
"What greater gift than the love of a cat." --Dickens

Peggy and I were lifelong dog lovers until we made a spur of the moment decision to get a cat (Brewsky) the day after our schnauzer died. That was seven years ago, and I soon started amassing a small library of books about cats and spending a lot of time thinking about the nature of cats. We now have four of them, and if we had any confidence that they would welcome a dog, we would get one of those as well, but it's their home too, and we're all but positive that they would hate sharing it with a dog. What follows are some observations and reflections about the nature of catness.

The love of a dog is a given. The love of a cat is a reward. The tragedy of dogs is that they have no place within themselves to call their own. Kick a dog, and he will still love you. Neglect to feed her, and she will still love you. Leave him tied to a stake on a sleety night, and he will still lick your hand in the morning. Dogs resolutely deny the wickedness of their humans, and this makes the life of an abused dog tragic beyond measure. By contrast, a cat reserves a part of herself for her alone, and will loathe you and avoid you if you deserve it. 

Our most sensitive cat, Ollie, can't compete for even his most treasured treat, and will quickly upchuck his entire meal if the least thing upsets him (Scully likes to eat the vomit). When I think of the millions of cats like Ollie who are abused, neglected, abandoned, or tormented by scientists, it's obvious that the larger part of my species are less deserving of good than are those animals that we regard as our inferiors. 

While dogs are respected for their willingness to die for their masters, cats are dismissed as "only in it for themselves," but while my friend, Sheryl, was napping, a burglar broke into her home, and was it her dog, Eliot, who alerted her to the danger? Noooo. Elliot hid under the sofa while Sheryl's cat yowled and stomped on her chest.

Ignorant people think that all cats are the same. Scully is the first to greet me when I've been out. Sage is our only cat who likes to ride on people's shoulders, and he and Scully will sometimes watch nature documentaries from start to finish. If I hear galloping feet when I crawl into bed for a nap, I know that Ollie is coming to join me. He is also the first on the scene if anyone is in distress, his compassion being so great that if he were human, I'm quite sure he would be a vegan.

Even so, our cats share some traits. For instance, if one of them is on a chair, and I move the chair, he or she will go along for the ride, something that I've never seen a dog do. Likewise, if I'm walking through the house, and a cat is in my path, the cat won't move when I will step over him or her. I've never tried this with a dog but what the dog would leap to his feet in a panic, threatening to wreck both of us.     

Brewsky, Ollie, Scully
I had imagined that, because cats are less gregarious than dogs, they would be less forgiving, so when we got Brewsky, I spent a couple of weeks worrying that the least mistake on my part would destroy our relationship. I went from that to chasing him through the house while cursing and waving my arms when he had been bad, which was much of the time. I had to conclude that he wasn't taking me as seriously as I hoped when he stared interrupting our chases by rolling onto his back so I could rub his belly. The fact is that if I step on the tail of a dog or a cat, he will look to me for assurance that I didn't do it on purpose, and then life will go on as normal. Likewise, if I scold a member of either species, she only asks that I quickly get over my anger.

The fact that cats aren't pack animals doesn't mean that they deserve their reputation as unloving. I rarely see one of my cats sleeping alone, and all of them want to be petted more than I want to pet them. As I write this, I have to get up every few minutes to shoo Scully away from Peggy's door because Peggy is asleep, and Scully is impatient for her to get up. Once she and Peggy have greeted one another, Scully won't ask for further attention, but it's vital to her that a greeting occur.

One trait that is shared by dogs and cats is their extreme alertness to their humans' movements. Neither species ever sleeps so soundly but what they know when I unwrap the cheese.

Cats are exceedingly tolerant, and so it is that at least one behavior which can lead to bloodshed among dogs goes practically unnoticed among cats. I refer to the fact that if one cat steals another cat's food, the victim will stand aside and watch the aggressor eat. This is true even if the victim is bigger and stronger, and even if the food is practically stolen out of his mouth while he's picking it up to eat it. I know from watching nature shows that lions exhibit no such tolerance, but then lions are pack animals.

From the many books I've read about cats, one seemingly unremarkable sentence stands out: "Cats are small predators," the point being that their thin bones make them susceptible to injury and therefore incapable of the rough play I enjoyed with dogs. The speed, strength, and agility of cats had blinded me to their delicacy.

I discovered another trait of cats on my own. Namely that they're sprinters, not endurance runners, so even a mediocre human can run down a fleeing cat if the cat has no place to hide.

Although our cats are content with living indoors, their teeth still chatter when there's a bird at the feeder.

Ollie's chair
Until they reach old age, dogs love to play. While I expected grown cats to play less than kittens, I had no idea of the extent to which adult cats would continue to change in this and other ways, or how abrupt and permanent the changes would be. For years, Ollie spent hours a day sitting on his hind legs in my office chair, his front legs resting on the chair's left arm. This behavior so represented his Ollieness to me that I couldn't imagine that he would suddenly and irrevocably stop doing it, but he did. Such changes are like little deaths.

Our cats clean our dishes, something that we never allowed our dogs to do. This isn't because we love our cats more, but because little dry tongues gross us out less than big wet ones. Brewsky tries to eat Peggy's food right from her plate, so she'll push him away, and a few moments later, he'll start slowly reaching out his big tabby paw in the hope that she won't notice. Our other cats are content to wait.

Every time I think that, finally, I'm starting to understand cats, we'll get another cat and I'll be made humble again. For instance, I had imagined that cats were finicky eaters until we got Sage, and I couldn't find a single food that we like that he doesn't.

Nowhere is the fabled curiosity of cats more evident than when their humans are doing something unexpected. Last week, I was in the laundry room drying the interior of a freshly washed bird feeder with Peggy's hair dryer when I chanced to look down and see Sage and Ollie looking up at me in wide-eyed wonder. "What in the HELL do you think you're doing?!" they demanded. 

The winter we got Brewsky, he took enormous interest in some shelving I was painting in the laundry room, so I had to choose between letting him join me at the risk of tracking paint all over the place, or locking him out of the room and listening to him cry at the door. I chose the former, it being difficult for me to say no to my cats unless the decision is a no-brainer. I'm forever reminding myself that, while I have all the power in the relationship, love and respect demand that I use it sparingly.

Everyone knows that cats spend a lot of time bathing (30% of their waking hours), but I hadn't realized that they are enthusiastic bathers of one another. I often find up to three of them in a circle, each one bathing another, and nothing confirms the group's acceptance of a new cat like bathing him or her. When we got our second cat, Ollie, Brewsky, who had lived alone for two years, immediately gave him a bath. It was one of my life's high points.

Please consider supporting my friend Jody's cat charity: https://catwomanflix.blogspot.com/

16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Oh yes.
I was amazed at how cats from the same litter, brought up in the same household can be so very different. But they are. Personalities all of their own. And, when I thought about it, my amazement said nothing good about my attitude to another species.

PhilipH said...

Heartfelt post. A delight to read. A Streetcat Named Bob was a book I read a few years back, (I think it might also be a film now) was an example of the bond twixt a man and a stray cat.

Thanks for writing your cat story. I'm sure there could be more to come.

Emma Springfield said...

It is nice to learn about the various personalities of your cats. It is amazing how each animal has its own quirks and endearing qualities.

angela said...

I currently have two dogs and four cats.
I love them all. But if I was only allowed one species I think I would go the cat.
They are so much more user friendly at my age and health They are happy to sit next to you and sleep. In the days where pain made me bed ridden. My cats would spend the day with me and I never ever felt alone or unloved.
Right now I’m going this with s kitten on my lap and he is trying very hard to help me with the task of typing.
Making this much harder than it should be. But I don’t mind lol

Marion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Springfield said...

I tried to leave a comment yesterday and apparently did not. I find the different personalities of pets intriguing.

Snowbrush said...

"if I was only allowed one species I think I would go the cat. They are so much more user friendly at my age and health"

My feelings exactly. I started regarding dogs as a burden when I had my three shoulder surgeries and had to take them walking during the long recovery. I had a schnauzer and a blue heeler at the time and keeping their leashes untangled and picking up their poop while I had one arm that was fragile and useless for twelve whole weeks was way more than I could handle. One day while my arm was still in a sling, I had to use my good arm to fight off a pit bull that attacked my schnauzer. Meanwhile my schnauzer and my heeler wound their leashes around my legs. If the pit bull hadn't been a young female, one or more of us would have died. Anyway, I decided that I would never again have more than one dog at a time, and that it would weigh less than ten pounds. As it turned out, I've had no other dogs. Some days I look out at Oregon's endless winter rains and thank my lucky stars that I don't have dogs that need to be walked because my knee hurts too much for me to walk them, and because my dogs and I always hated walking in the rain.

"I’m doing this with s kitten on my lap and he is trying very hard to help me with the task of typing."

Ollie sits in my lap on occasion while I'm at the computer, but he takes no interest in typing, although he sometimes notes that things are moving on the monitor.

"I could read about cats all day."

You've come to the right place.

"My 2 are currently chasing each other in circles trying to get me to let them outside for their morning run."

Ours are indoor only, and they seem to be fine with it. I'm really anti-outdoors where cats are concerned because they kill so many animals, and they themselves are subject to so many dangers, especially here in the city. Our four cats came from three different rescue groups, and all of these groups made us promise to keep them indoors. I've been surprised to find that many people think that Peggy and I are horrid for keeping our cats indoors, their objection being that we're denying our cats something that's vital for their well-being. I would agree if we only had one cat and both of us worked fulltime, but as it is, our cats have one another for company, and there are many days when Peggy and I never leave home, so our cats are NEVER alone. I've noted that the people who criticize us have no experience with indoor cats, and that their outdoor cats commonly die in accidents or simply disappear.

Snowbrush said...



"The girl cat yowls pitifully around 3 a.m. every morning since Catfish & Sophie died...They're very caring animals..."

People who don't like cats don't realize this because they compare cats to dog, and a dog is effusive 24/7, while a cat won't even come when called unless they know they're going to get a treat. When we got Brewsky, I had thought I would take him everywhere I went the way I had done with my dogs, but he didn't want to go, so I soon gave it up. I also thought I would train him to come when called, and he would too as long as he was pretty sure that I had a treat for him, but I never could get him to come when there was no treat. Peggy's sister was shocked that we got a cat (she keeps about ten cats), saying, "You're dog people, and a cat is not a dog." Indeed, a cat is not a dog, and if a person really loves dogs, it's hard to get used to having a cat. Most days I like them quite well, but I also miss having a dog to hang out with me when I'm working in the yard and to go places with me. On those days, I'm reminded of a friend of Peggy's saying, "A cat is an unsatisfactory compromise between having a dog and not having a pet at all." Peggy missed dogs a lot more than I did, and was correspondingly disappointed in cats, but she has become reconciled and even joyful in her relationship with her cats because they so plainly care, and once the fact of caring has been established, one's heart can but open. A major upside of cats is that they are mysterious. I have a few wonderful books about dogs, but I surely have 100 to 200 books about cats (and these are just the keepers). A lot of them are art books (both painting and photography); others are literature about cats (poems, folklore, and short fiction); and still others are non-fiction books about cat health and behavior. Another major upside of cats is their beauty (I'm at an age when I'm much more enchanted by the beauty of cat than by the beauty of a woman, which is a really good thing in my case). A final major upside is that cats really do experience love and therefore feel all the pangs of separation. It's so precious to feel their affection, not just for Peggy and me, but also for one another. Ollie in particular is as caring and sensitive a person (not a human person, but a person nonetheless) as I've ever known.

"Snow, your healthcare post never showed up in my reading list."

It was the last post before this post and you commented on it. It has been up a while now, and it's called "medical care" instead of healthcare.

"Great post! xo"

I really appreciate that. I work hard on my posts.

"I tried to leave a comment yesterday and apparently did not."

Maybe I was in the process of going back from "comment moderation" to "no comment moderation." I got a spam comment a week or so ago, and was so angered by it that I enabled comment moderation. Yesterday, Kylie emailed to say that she had left a comment that never appeared. I couldn't find it, and I had no idea what could have happened to it, but I decided that maybe it was a bit much to go back to comment moderation over one piece of spam so I switched back to no moderation. I very much enjoy what you have to say, and am correspondingly sorry that your comment got lost.

Strayer said...

This is a beautiful tribute to cats, Snow, and their attributes. They are all very different. I have so many here, most aging now, they have their favorite sleeping spots and best friends and favorite foods, but they change all the time. Most of mine still play but they want to play with me now and not so much do they play alone. I miss Miss Daisy so much sometimes I can barely stand to go to bed knowing she will not be there, sprawled across my face, or racing through the house as I try to sleep, screaming loudly, as only a very happy deaf cat could do. Just writing about her makes me wish she was still with me. Oh, I must stop.

Elephant's Child said...

I was sure I had commented, but see I am mistaken. Again.
Cats are such individuals, and their differences are a huge part of their charm for me.
Knowing how much I miss some of the cats who have shared our lives, my heart aches with and for Strayer.

PhilipH said...

This is my second attempt to comment on your Cats post so I'll keep it short Snowy M'lad.

Your deep love of your Moggies shines through. Absolutely lovely words and pictures. A great post; most enjoyable.

Phil

Snowbrush said...

"Just writing about her makes me wish she was still with me. Oh, I must stop."

I don't know if it's better to sink into the pain or to avoid it. Peggy still cries over dead dogs, especially our last two to whom she was especially close, and that died in 2010 and 2012, respectively. I remember Miss Daisy's death, and I can but wish that one of the other cats would and love you and cuddle you in the night like she did (cats can be as maddeningly distant as people, so no matter how much you need them, it's no guarantee that they will be there for you). I ask myself which of my cats I would miss most, which is the same as asking which one I love most. Sage is still a kitten and therefore an unknown. Brewsky is a big old easy going tabby who seems more like a housemate than a pet. He's also the one who's the most comfortable with Peggy and me. Ollie's physique, green eyes, and sensitivity make him especially attractive, as do his expressions, the way he holds his head when he's observing or pondering, and his enthusiasm for napping with me. Scully is my only girl and my prettiest cat who, I think, reacts differently to me because of my gender, just as I do to her (I call her "my little girl"). I'm touched by her fearfulness toward so many things, and it makes me want to protect and reassure her, an attitude of which she's very aware. She waits by the door for me when I go out, and greets me when I return (even if I only went to the garage to get something out of the freezer). It's easier to love those best who love me best, but the only way to know who I love best would be for them to die, and maybe it's good that I love all of them so much that I have no clear favorite. I rejoice daily that all of my cats should have a lot of years left in their lives. In fact, the two youngest--Scully and Sage--might outlive me, and that has its own problems. Like my favorite author--Margaret Deland--it's impossible for me to be reconciled to a world that contains both love and death. Certainly the assumption of most people is that, if God exists, then he is good, but my assumption is that, if God exists, he's the moral equal of his fallen angel, Satan, whose only sin was rebellion against a being no better than himself in terms of justice and compassion, but in terms of brute power alone. How thoroughly did Mark Twain summarize my views about the God of the Bible at least:

"[He] could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave is angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!”

Snowbrush said...

"I was sure I had commented, but see I am mistaken."

Because Kylie and Philip also commented and their comments didn't get through, I think it likely that you commented and it was lost. I don't know what to do about this. I will go to "help" and try to find out what to do, but in the meantime, you might do what I do with almost every comment on every blog, which is to write my comment in my mail program and then paste it onto the blog on which I'm commenting. I started doing this because I had so damn many blog comment forms reload WHILE I was commenting on them.

"Your deep love of your Moggies shines through. Absolutely lovely words and pictures. A great post; most enjoyable."

Thank you, my beloved friend. As for your comment not going through, please see my last comment before this one.

Myrna R. said...

so glad I came by to visit today. What a delightful narration of your relationship with cats. If they could organize, they'd make you their spokesperson. I love how you know the prejudices (of which I've been guilty) and defend the little creatures who have brought you so much joy.
I've only had one cat and I loved her dearly. Thank you for reminding me.

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, thank you for visiting my little blog. What a lovely post about your pets. I know what you mean about tornadoes. ~shudders~ We have gotten off light in that department for the last several years. Be well!

kj said...

Hi snow, I'm no longer a cat person because of allergies (mine, not theirs.) But I love the elegance and independence of cats and it was super fun to read this post.

Since I'm into dogs to include our new puppy, I especially liked this observation, even though it's heartbreaking:

"The tragedy of dogs is that they have no place within themselves to call their own. Kick a dog, and he will still love you. Neglect to feed her, and she will still love you. Leave him tied to a stake on a sleety night, and he will still lick your hand in the morning. Dogs resolutely deny the wickedness of their humans, and this makes the life of an abused dog tragic beyond measure."

I hope all is well with you. Things may be looking up for me!

love
kj