All about Peggy: Part 1: The Tumor

 
By September, 1971, Peggy and I were engaged. On the memorable day in question, we were in my parents’ backyard petting my little dog, Wolf (I grew-up naming all of my dogs Wolf, Sassy, or Tippy). I had just stepped inside for a glass of water when I heard Peggy emit an anguished cry that erased all thought of thirst. I ran to her side where, with trembling fingers, she pointed to a large, gray, marble-sized sphere on Wolf’s neck and, with the solemn reserve of one who has tragic news to convey, said softly, “Wolf has a tumor.”

I then did the last thing she expected a sane person to do upon learning that his dog has a tumor so aggressive that it wasn’t there the previous day. I laughed. I think I might have laughed until I cried, but 51-years is a long time to remember such details. When my laughter subsided, I grasped the hideous gray orb between thumb and forefinger, “unscrewed” it from Wolf’s neck, and crushed the blood-gorged monster between two bricks that I carried for the purpose. Peggy was beside herself with admiration. In fact, she was floored, flummoxed, and no less addled than a goose with a skull fracture. Her face paled; her eyes bugged; and she looked at me as if afraid to look away. Then, almost imperceptibly, she started sliding her pretty bottom in the other direction. Perceptive young man that I was, I knew that she did these things because she was humbled by the knowledge that, only in America, could a woman with beauty, brains, but no money, marry such a man.

I was entertaining similar thoughts myself, but instead of rejoicing, I was wondering if I shouldn’t find myself a bride with beauty, brains and money. Regrettably, my innocence and naiveté enabled the 20-year-old San Antonio rose to lure me into the grim matrimonial pit from which I continue to gaze helplessly at a tiny wedge of distant sky. When I tell her of my bitterness each morning over yet another bowl of cold, unsalted gruel, she cruelly retorts that while a gigolo looks to his woman to make him rich, a real man looks to himself to make his woman rich. So much for feminism! So much for a bride taking responsibility for ruining her husband’s life! So much for women
’s cruel indifference to non-pecuniary genius! But let us return to that long ago day in Mississippi, a day so long ago that the world was still in black and white…

As Peggy continued to scoot her pretty bottom away from me, I shouted: “Peggy, my love, Wolf’s ‘tumor’ was a blood-bloated tick that would have latched onto your eyeballs had I not killed him when I did.
I only laughed because it had never occurred to me that you didn’t know what a tick looked like.” She couldn’t have been more impressed had I rescued her from a ‘possum. I knew this because she persisted in silently opening her mouth in sexy resemblance to a freshly-caught catfish. Although the heavenly vision she conveyed was impaired by her lack of a catfish’s gray skin and whiskers, I tried to put aside her failure in that department just as I tried to put aside her failure in the money department. Unfortunately, fifty-years of looking up at a tiny wedge of sky has made my neck hurt and left me depressed, especially when the sky is clear but also when it is cloudy. When I consider the joy that might have been mine had I been born a gay Icelandic ailurophile, I just want to retch. In fact, I think I will.

Next time:
All about Peggy: Part 2: Why a Woman Who Hates Cats has Five Cats

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am quite impressed by your tick knowledge at a young age.

Tom said...

I like dogs, despite their penchant for attracting ticks. I've only had one cat in my life. Her name was Sassy.

Frog-Fart said...

\\So much for feminism!

:-)

Snowbrush said...

"I am quite impressed by your tick knowledge at a young age."

I was 22 at the time. Does Australia have ticks? How about chiggers (which Mississippians refer to as "red bugs")?

"I like dogs, despite their penchant for attracting ticks."

Cats get ticks.

"I've only had one cat in my life. Her name was Sassy."

Tom, you've never said that you dislike cats, yet every time I write about them, you tell me that you prefer dogs, so it never occurred to me that someone with such a strong preference had ever had a cat. Now I'm wondering how it worked?

"So much for feminism!"

Does Ukraine have ticks and/or chiggers (aka red bugs)?

angela said...

So happy it was “just a tick”. Even those can be fatal
I would of definitely been impressed by your courage and bravery in the way you
Quickly, after a good laugh, removed the tick and sent it to its death

kylie said...

Australia has ticks!

Strayer said...

this cracked me up

Snowbrush said...

"So happy it was 'just a tick.' Even those can be fatal"

Yes indeed, but they weren't so dangerous in America before the coming of Lyme Disease (I now know that ticks caused other diseases, but I had never heard of them back then).

"I would of definitely been impressed by your courage and bravery in the way you...removed the tick and sent it to its death."

Put that way, it's not so funny. I disliked Julia Child because she made a joke out of chopping up creatures with a cleaver, yet here I am making a joke out of killing a tick. However, cows and turkeys are innocent of causing us harm, whereas parasites have the power both to kill us and to make our lives miserable, plus most of them are all but brainless. I don't hate them on a personal level because they are, after all, only doing what nature made them to do, but I hate the fact that they exist, and I feel a sort of grim satisfaction when I kill them.

"Australia has ticks!"

I didn't know this because while I've watched a good many nature documentaries about Australia, I don't recall ticks being mentioned, probably because they're tiny, ugly, and lack drama (unlike Death Adders, ticks don't inspire people to run into trees in a blind panic). Speaking of, I often saw poisonous snakes in Mississippi (copperheads, coral snakes, cottonmouth moccasins, and various types of rattlesnakes all live there), but have yet to see a single poisonous snake in Oregon, although the state has two varieties of rattlesnake. On the other hand, Mississippi lacked scary mammals while Oregon has bears and cougars. But back to Australia, Kylie. I see that Australia also has chiggers (what Mississippians called red bugs because they are, after all, red), but you call them "scrub itch mites."

"this cracked me up"

Thank you. I find it hard to guess whether or not something that is funny to me will be funny to anyone else. Peggy laughed at this, though, which was a good sign because she laughs less readily than I.

Ruby End said...

"I knew that she did these things because she was humbled by the knowledge that, only in America, could a woman with beauty, brains, but no money, marry such a man." - Hahahahahaha, rib-tickling post sweetie, ticks all the boxes so to speak! x

kylie said...

It's interesting that you mention scrub itch mites now because I'd never heard of them and then just a couple of days ago I met a woman who talked about "red legged earth mites" which I suspect are the same or similar.
Apparently the regional radio station where she lived as a child had a regular report on the prevailing population of mites and her mother took to drawing a mite on the back of every letter she sent!

On a recent camping trip my son called wildlife rescue fora young kangaroo who was obviously unwell. Before the rescuer arrived the roo died. Anaemia caused by ticks killed it

Snowbrush said...

"rib-tickling post sweetie, ticks all the boxes so to speak! x"

Ha, ha, yourself.

"red legged earth mites"

I suppose she's referring to the little critters that are called "red bugs" in parts of the American South and chiggers everywhere else. The term "red bug" is certainly more descriptive, and if they weren't red, it would be very hard to see them--it being hard enough to see them as it is. I used to detest them even more than ticks because while it's easy to remove a tick, a person is just stuck with redbugs. Happily, they're not found in my present state of Oregon, and it's possible to exit the woods with hundreds of them.

"Before the rescuer arrived the roo died. Anaemia caused by ticks killed it."

I have a sister who allowed ticks to kill her dog in the same manner. It wasn't the worst thing she did, but it certainly ranked among the reasons I lost all trust in her. She's five years younger than I, terminally ill with COPD and liver problems, and I'm finally able to have a loving relationship with her--both for her benefit and mine--I'll never trust her.

Joe Todd said...

Stopped by to say Hi. Didn't know the word ailurophile. Had to look it up. LOL
Have a good one