The First 20 or so Things That I Love as They Occur to Me in the Moment

 

Peggy, my wife of 51-years

The circa 1955 house in which we have lived for 32-years

Cats, cat art, cat poetry, cat cartoons, cat fiction, cat history, the cat goddess Bastet

Memories of my mother, my father, Peggy’s mother, my father’s mother, various dogs, and other beloved dead, some of whom I only know through what they left behind

Believing that my mother and father did the best they could despite their failings

Coffee in the morning

Not having to worry about running out of money—at least not very much

Having access to medical care

Blog friends who I will never lay eyes upon

My British friends, Michelle and Philip

Phone calls from Philip

My sister, Anne

My thoughtful and generous former neighbor, Ellie, who just brightened my day with an email

My longtime friends, Jackie and Kurt, who are coming to visit me today

The cartoons of Gary Larson and George Booth

Gomer Pyle’s sweetness, innocence, honesty, and natural ability to find the good in everyone

Ernie Pyle’s ability to write eloquently and perceptively about the war that made him miserable and finally killed him

My houseplants

The marigolds and elephant ears (taro) that I grow in my backyard planter; the petunias that I grow in my front planter

People who are kind to animals

People of exemplary integrity

Knowing that the world’s most generous people are often its poorest

Reading about knots, houseplants and other things in bed at night

Tying knots in the cords that I keep by my bed

Having been born in the first half of the 20th century because since childhood it has made me feel more mature than people like Peggy who weren’t born until the early 50s

Western movies and TV shows

Enjoying old movies and old TV shows with Peggy

10 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

What a lovely list! Thanks for making me smile.

Andrew said...

Your post about what you dislike is much longer than this one. We humans love to complain and sometimes our complaints can be effective. There is a lot to like and appreciate about life. Just watching my brother's deaf dog at Christmas Day celebrations today was a wonder.

Snowbrush said...

"What a lovely list! Thanks for making me smile."

Thank you, Darla.

"Your post about what you dislike is much longer than this one."

It is actually ten items shorter, but you're right inasmuch as the explanations make it longer.

"Just watching my brother's deaf dog at Christmas Day celebrations today was a wonder."

I wish I could have seen him or her.

Michelle said...

I am honoured to be on the list sweetie X Twenty loves that appear off the top of your head is a fine thing, I know some people who would struggle with ten; I am very much in your camp though and find my joys all around me (you and Peggy featuring too). Xxx

kylie said...

I must attempt a post like this.

How do you read in bed at night, it seems to me to be the most uncomfortable thing, not to mention that as soon as my body hits the sheets I just want to sleep. I briefly considered an adjustable bed. I wonder if that would make reading in bed more enticing

Sue said...

Very nice list. My blessings are my family, health, gardens, birds and freedom from money worries

Snowbrush said...

"Twenty loves that appear off the top of your head is a fine thing, I know some people who would struggle with ten..."

I hadn't thought about this, but I think that if a person really and truly can't think of even ten "small" things that they enjoy (things like eating popcorn while watching an old movie would qualify), they're completely overwhelmed by depression or by the burden of divorce, poor health, the death of a loved one, etc.

"My blessings are my family, health, gardens, birds and freedom from money worries."
Might I ask, then, for the loan of, shall we say, $50,000... come to think of it, $100,000 would be preferable. Actually, I'm doing okay money-wise considering that every time the stock and bond markets get their heads above water, the damn Fed raises interest rates yet again, upon which both stocks and bonds take yet another tumble. Much of the world has now gone into a recession, and there are enormous fears that the US is about to do the same, yet the Fed just keeps on keeping on with its rate increases.

Sue, does your interest in "gardens" mean that you garden, or that you enjoy visiting gardens, or both? I'm from the southeastern US originally, and there were a lot more large gardens down there than there are in the Northwest, and I miss them quite a lot.

Thank you for your enjoyable comment. Are you the Sue who is from Portland?

Anonymous said...

This is Sue. I garden a lot My house is surrounded by flower beds. I also have a vegetable garden. As it is the dead of winter, I am not doing much gardening. I also enjoy seeing other gardens

Anonymous said...

I am Sue from Michigan , escape from Cancerland. Kris is from Portland. My blog used to show up when I commented but no longer. Maybe because I am using an Apple phone and there is no app

Chartreuse said...

So pleased I've rediscovered your blog after almost 10 years when I avoided all blogs and did no posting myself. But I was pleased to see you're still kicking, as my Dad would have said. And I especially liked this post, and I feel I must immediately sit down and try something similar myself.